Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Milk Khova/ Milk Burfi (call it whatever, but its loaded!!)


So I ate this when my sister made it at her house, so again this is a borrowed recipe from my sister. (Do you see a pattern here? Maybe she should start blogging and not me!!)
When I tasted this after a long time, it reminded me of the taste of the Aavin Milk Khova and my subsequent fight with a cat when I was a little girl. I know you want to hear the story of the cat, I will definitely get to it later but since this is a recipe blog, here's the recipe for this dessert.

I know I promised something easier to make, but this is time consuming about an hour easily for the cooking time. There is no prep time, which makes it easier.

Prep Time : 0 mins (Unless you count the opening of the Ricotta cheese and unwrapping the stick of butter as prep time!)

Cooking time: 45 mins to an 1 hr.

Total time: 45 mins to an 1 hr.

Ingredients

Part skim milk Ricotta Cheese -- 1 (32 oz box).
Unsalted Butter-- 1 stick
Sugar -- 31/2 to 4 cups (Add more if you have a sweet tooth)
Non Fat Dry Milk Powder--1 packet

Preparation:

If you don't stir, it will be black and you will have a smoky kitchen at the end of this recipe and not a delicious Milk Khova dessert.



1. Take a nonstick deep pan and add the ricotta cheese and butter and start melting them. Keep the stove on medium heat.
2. Keep stirring for 15 mins. (I usually set the timer on my stove for the 15 mins)
3. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
4.Add the non fat dry milk powder and stir without forming lumps (I also use a beater to beat the powder to avoid the lumps in the pan)
5. Keep stirring till the mixture starts thickening very well.

Also make sure that you are well protected with your hands because as the mixture thickens it has a nasty splattering spell!

6. You have an option to leave it white or keep stirring till it starts turning brown and then turn off.
7. Refrigerate after it cools down and enjoy this delicious dessert.


Curry-n-Spice Tip: You could use whole milk Ricotta cheese ( I personally do not see a vast difference in taste).
The least size I could find for the milk powder was at Stop and shop with 5 packets in a box. So that works.
If making it for a party use just double the quantity and it should suffice, but sadly I discovered it only increased the time I spent in front of the stove but of course the fruits of the labor were great.

Ok..now to the cat story, the Aavin (its just a brand name...yes they sell these in India under different brands) dessert comes wrapped in almost parchment paper and I had the habit of licking the paper (one half only because my sister had to have the other) once everyone was done eating. So of course I had to sit next to a cat and lick this thing and the cat smelling this delicious milk blend...tried to snatch it from me. I did not give up and fought with the cat and won eventually but got scrapped on my scalp right above my forehead dead center ...till this day I have a scar there to prove my victory.

Enjoy! Relish.

2 comments: